Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sheperds Pie

My Mom used to make this all the time when I was younger and it has become a comfort food for me. Since then I have made it for my family on a regular basis and there are never any leftovers. To make this meal for my family of four the cost is 4.50, if I decide to make rolls then the cost increases to 5.00 but tonight I didn't have The time to make them.
Ingredients (vary depending on taste)

2 lbs of ground turkey or hamburger
1 can of green beans or corn
2 cups of gravy
6 servings of mashed potato
add salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown turkey and then place into a casserole dish. mix green beans(or corn) into cooked turkey. Meanwhile, cook mashed potato's and follow instructions for gravy. Top the turkey mixture with dollops of mashed potato's and cover with gravy. Any extra gravy can be poured over the turkey mixture to help retain moisture. Bake in the oven for 25-30 min, or until the top begins to turn brown.
When my Mom made this for us it was always made with hamburger meat and corn. I have a child who doesn't like corn and a husband who prefers ground turkey so I have adapted. As always feel free to ask questions or leave comments in the section below! Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. You can also use mine for the cheese lovers out there! I commonly make this for the hubs and his runners when he's on duty and the guys come out of the barracks from the smell to try and get some... 2lbs hamburger, 6servings mashed potato, 1 egg, 8 oz chedder cheese, 1 onion chopped, 3 stalks celery chopped, 1-2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 1-2 cans green beans, 1-2 cans corn. Brown the meat with the onions and celery, drain the meat and the veggies, then mix meat with soup, transfer to large casserole dish, add in green beans and corn, top with mashed potatos, then pour beaten egg over potatos (makes a little crispy), sprinkle top with cheese to taste add paprika and bake in a 375 oven for about 30 mins. The best part of this dish for us is the fact that it gets better the next day! When I make it just for the family we eat left overs for lunch until it's gone.
    Love,
    Melissa W

    ReplyDelete